Sunday, April 10, 2011

At a Crossroad...

Today, I find myself at a major crossroad in my life.  We are all faced with them from time to time.  Those moments when we are presented with conflicting options and must choose the road we feel is right...  "What is the source of my dilemma," you might ask?  Take a look for yourself...




Why, yes!  That is a Justin Bieber/Rascal Flatts single!  Now WTF am I supposed to do with that?!?  On the one hand, in my humble opinion, Rascal Flatts is freaking awesome and as far as I'm concerned, can do no wrong when it comes to making music.  They could sing Ernie's Rubber Duckie song from Sesame Street, and I'd totally melt.  On the other hand, there's that whole Justin Bieber thing that I'd have to live down if I ever publicly admit that I like this song.  So what is a 36-year-old woman to do when faced with a dilemma of this magnitude?  Fine!  I'll own it!  I like this song!!!  I'll just chalk it up as a "guilty pleasure" and everyone can just accept it for what it is.

I suppose while I'm fessing up to guilty pleasures, I might as well own up to a few more.  If I'm going to be mocked by my peers, I might as well give them some genuine ammunition.  ;-)

1.  I LIKE BOY BANDS! - That's right.  You heard me.  I became a closet boy band fan as a teenager when my sister became a "loud and proud" New Kids on the Block fanatic.  We're talking proud-owner-of-the-bedsheets, thousands-of-photos-covering-every-inch-of-wall-and-ceiling-space-in-her-bedroom, memorized-every-lyric-and-choreographed-routine FA-NA-TIC...  At the time, I refused to admit that I went to the concert.  I definitely refused to admit that I enjoyed the concert.  But now, 22 years later, I'll own it.  NKOTB, all the way, baby!!!  While my personal preferences lean toward the more "mature" Backstreet Boys, I can still bust out the choreography to "The Right Stuff" to this day!  :-)


2.  I think that "Galaxy Quest" is one of the funniest movies ever! -  I know!  I know!  You're probably all shaking your heads at me right now.  But you have to admit that this movie was so stupid that it was freaking hilarious!!!  And unlike other films like "Space Jam" that "starred" athletes for crying out loud, "Galaxy Quest" starred people who knew what they're doing!  Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman...  I'll even go one step further and admit that I owned the VHS and replaced it with the DVD when the big transition from VCR to DVD players happened several years back.  It's a funny movie, and no one is going to convince me otherwise.

3.  I take Mr. Bubble bubble baths! - Yes, I am a grown woman.  Yes, I realize that there are other bubble bath products on the market that are actually geared towards grown woman.  However, having compared multiple products, I have found that you just can't get good bubbles with any of those "grown-up" bubble bath liquids.  If I'm going to go to the hassle of filling up the tub, pulling out the candles, setting up the relaxing music, etc. I want some serious "bubbleage" in that tub that will last longer than 5 minutes!  Mr. Bubble, it is!  I'm not sure I'm willing to cop to occassionally drawing with the kids' bath crayons yet though...

Mock away if you must!!!  But just remember that one day, I might sneak up on you while you're busting out your best "Macarena" moves or belting out your favorite Air Supply song in the shower (Why, yes...  I do own Air Supply's Greatest Hits ;-P)...  They're called "guilty pleasures," and we all have them.  I'm just brave enough to own up to mine on the World Wide Web for all to see.  :-)

2 comments:

Carla said...

Way to own it. you crack me up!

Last Mom said...

Awesome!!!! I am still smitten with NKOTB.

AND I will admit to enjoying watching the Justin Bieber movie with my daughter.

Related Posts with Thumbnails