Monday, September 20, 2010

Living in Limbo

Living in Foster/Adopt Land is like living in a constant state of limbo.  The only thing that is consistent is the inconsistency!  As foster parents, we are completely at the mercy of others...  Other people's schedules...  Other people's motivation (or lack thereof)...  Other people's opinions (which in Foster/Adopt Land, are always considered more relevant and important than our own)...  Limbo is not a good place to be when you're impatient, a "planner" by nature, and a bit of a control freak!  :-)

I'm the type of person at restaurants who usually ends up saying, "Good grief!  What did they have to do?  Plant, grow, and harvest the potatoes?!?"  When I'm stuck waiting in a line at the bank or supermarket, I tend to offer to the cashier, "Do you want me to help you with that?" just to speed things along.  I'm of the mind that "you have to do it yourself if you want it done right."  Fortunately, I'm not quite as bad as I used to be (I take medication for the bipolar, OCD craziness now :-), but there's no total cure for a Type A personality, so I'm rather surprised that I've taken on Foster/Adopt Land at all when it's bound to send me running straight to the Loony Bin at some point.  Hooray for respite care!!!  :-)

So far, so good with my new agency...  Although for the most part, all I've done with them is take all of my annual training classes...  My mom took them with me because she needs them for respite care.  I have to say I am very thankful that she didn't attempt bodily injury to the CPR/First Aid guy (not affiliated with my agency), although I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see a Cajun bayou voodoo doll in his likeness laying around her house with stickpins in the eyeballs.  :-)  He was a condesending, obnoxious old man who kept calling her "grandma" and telling everyone in the class not to listen to anything she said because "grandmas are always wrong when it comes to first aid."  She was not amused.

The director came out to do my homestudy update on the 10th, but her laptop fried half-way through (gotta love non-profits), and then she was out of the office all last week, so we still haven't finished.  So, once again, I am living in limbo waiting on someone else to get their stuff together so I can get on with my life...  I'm still hopeful everything will be cleared this week, and I'll be on the vacancy list and ready for "the call" by this weekend.  I'm just hoping to move out of "licensing limbo" into "foster pregnancy limbo" and quickly into "what the heck is going on with my kid's case limbo" fairly soon.

1 comment:

Carla said...

I'm totally in limbo land right now too. We've been waiting for over 2 months for our girls file to move from one desk to another (her case workers to the adoption workers)...before we can start our end of the process. We are totally on an unknown timeline and uncertainty surrounds it all. We are dealing with government agencies instead of non profits here in Canada though.

Related Posts with Thumbnails